Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens



A Tale of Two Cities was another great Dickens read. As it turns out, not only do I not hate Dickens, but I think I actually really like him. There. I said it.

A small bit of trivia for those who don’t want to read A Tale of Two Cities—the two cities to which the title refers are London and Paris. The story takes place in the late 18th century and seems somewhat historical in nature. Unfortunately, I don’t know how much of it refers to “true” history and what is fiction. Maybe someone can help me out there (Matt?...).

While overall the book was very well written and understandable, one thing is bugging me. Dickens, numerous times throughout the story, wrote paragraphs which were a string of sentences each beginning with the word “that” each of which seemed (to me) inconclusive.

I personally, might write a sentence beginning with “that” as follows. That the orange had long passed its prime, was obvious.

Dickens’ “that” sentences were more like this:

That the yellow bee had last week gathered nectar from the flower. That the hummingbird danced lightly on the planter, green feathers shining in the sunlight. That certain people are wrong in the majority of their opinions but insist on spouting garbage as if it is fact.

I simply don’t understand. These sentences leave me feeling as if I’ve accidentally stepped off the curb into traffic and can’t gain balance in order to retreat.

I assume the seemingly incomplete “that” sentences were grammatically acceptable during Dickens’ time but I’m going to need some explanation. Maybe my second grade teacher forgot to teach me about those.

I digress.

The story is a mysterious historical adventure drama about a man (Dr. Manette) who is imprisoned unjustly; his daughter (Lucie Manette), her husband (wouldn’t you like to know?), their banker (Mr. Lorry), and the hero (not telling). I’m leaving out a bunch of other characters including villains…because they’re jerks. I’ve decided not to expand much on the plot as the story is written such that the reader has little idea about what is going on until pieces unfold throughout. It is a great story. I’ll leave it at that.

Favorite Quotes:”When he cared to talk, he talked well; but, the cloud of caring for nothing, which overshadowed him with such a fatal darkness, was very rarely pierced by the light within him.” (pg. 136)

“All the women knitted. They knitted worthless things…” (pg. 171)

“A solitary old bachelor,’ answered Mr. Lorry, shaking his head. ‘There is nobody to weep for me.” (pg. 288)

If this were a movie, I'd rate it: You could easily make it PG-13 or R.

Overall Grade: A-

Would I recommend this book to my friends: Totally.

4 comments:

  1. I guess you hate David Copperfield, not Dickens. I am wondering if I am going to have to read Tale of Two Cities now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is about Sidney Carton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, yes, in a manner of speaking, but I didn't want to give away mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Sidney Carton is arguably the most interesting of all of Dickens' characters. He's the archetypal anti-hero. While most scholars put this book into the "minor Dickens" category Carton's development through the novel is very interesting in that the reader doesn't really appreciate what is going on until they realize what this guy is up to. Through the course of several readings I've found Carton to be ever more interesting and his decision to be one of the most thought-provoking in literature. Was the primary driver love? Was it sadness and despair? All the other characters are filler for this man's story.

    ReplyDelete