Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson


Uuuuggggghhhh. Yes, I confess, I went into this book with a bad attitude. It all started when I read the back cover which states “Tracy’s been in foster care as long as she can remember. Maybe one day her mother will show up and together they’ll have fabulous adventures. Then again, maybe she won’t. In the meantime, Tracy’s doing everything she can to take care of herself. And that’s hard work, because the girls she lives with are mean and rude and horrible.”


I just…well, Tracy was really annoying and bratty and that wore on me. Fortunately it only had to wear on me for approximately 2 hours and then the book was over.

From what I can tell, Tracy Beaker became a big hit in Britain in the early 90’s. She’s kind of like Punky Brewster…only not as cute and without the cool socks.

The story is 10 year old Tracy Beaker’s journal written in first person narrative while she is living in a foster home. I’m sure kids are all over this stuff, but I just didn’t get it. Maybe I’m getting old.

If this were a movie, I'd rate it: PG

Overall Grade: Meh.

Would I recommend this book to my friends: No. Not even my friends' kids. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment