Monday, September 14, 2009

His Dark Materials By: Philip Pullman



I was mildly apprehensive going into this series as I knew that it was controversial among some Christians. In my opinion--if the author’s aim was to offend, he totally failed. One of the characters did proclaim Christianity to be a mistake, but aside from a small section where this particular character tells her own story of abandoning religion, the series leaves little by which to be offended (unless, of course, you go looking for it).

The first two books are absolutely riveting. They are full of creativity and action. The characters and settings are developed to a perfect level. They are easy to read and hard to put down.

The third book was the most difficult to finish. This is mostly due to one particular character’s story, which is just plain dull and proved to be a regular stopping point whenever her chapter came up in the rotation. If you’ve read the books, I’m sure there’s no doubt about who I am speaking.

Having said that, the end of the third book was inspiring and heart wrenching, and as I tried to read it aloud to my husband, I was unable to read as I was crying so hard.

Are there holes in the story line? Yes. Are there inconsistencies? Yes. As I always say: come on people—it's fiction!

Ultimately, the moral of the story was to be good, kind people and to build the kingdom of heaven (in whatever way you define heaven).

I think the series is a great read for adults and teenagers. It was easy, but didn’t feel too shallow to be a good solid adult read. If one of my own children (under maybe 14) was reading the series, I’d want to make sure that they a) had a good understanding of what fiction is and b) some people don’t believe in God and some people do and everyone is free to follow their own heart.

If this book were a movie, I’d rate it: PG-13 for some violence and mature themes
Overall Grade: A-
Would I recommend this book to my friends? Absolutely

No comments:

Post a Comment