Monday, September 28, 2009

Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte


When I went to the bookstore to purchase Jane Eyre, the bookseller asked if I’d read it before and when I said “no” he said “I don’t blame you”. Okaaayyyy…Also, I’m not into romance novels at all, so the only thing that made me think this book would be tolerable is that it is described as a “gothic romance”. Gothic—now we’re talking.

The book drew me in from the get go—mostly because Jane reminded me of myself; but I’ve heard others say that the beginning is slow. The first 40 pages are basically the same plot as the first 40 pages of Harry Potter, so I don’t know how you can complain too much.

My biggest gripe when reading Jane Eyre is that I don’t speak French. The young girl that Jane teaches is a native French speaker and there are entire paragraphs that are completely French. There were bits and pieces that I could puzzle though, but mostly I just didn’t understand those paragraphs. I don’t think I lost too much meaning.

As it turned out, I really enjoyed this book. It is by far my favorite 19th century romance to date. It was definitely a romance, but it wasn’t so sappy as to make you sick. Every time it got too Disney princess on me, almost immediately something Edward Scissor-hands would happen. If Tim Burton ever gets a hankering to do a romance, this is the one he should pick up.

If this book were a movie, I’d rate it: PG-13 for a little gore.
Overall Grade: B
Would I recommend this book to my friends? Yes

3 comments:

  1. Why have you not devoted a month to writing reviews of all the books you've completed? For my part I've read 19 from the completed list and 10 from the to-do list. -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read but hate to comprehend (not true, I'm just bad at it). In light of this, there are several books on the "what I've read" list about which I don't remember enough to write a reveiw even half as pathetic as those that I've written.

    Maybe I'll hire Jacci to write a David Copperfield review for me. I know how passionately she loves that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see. Well I may have to shadow your progress just to stimulate some dialogue. By the way, I own Ulysses but I haven't even opened it up...1000 pages on 1 day in Dublin...whoa.

    ReplyDelete