Monday, November 30, 2009

War and Peace by: Leo Tolstoy


When I was about eight years old, I remember my mom reading War and Peace. I was in awe over how HUGE it was and thought she must have been a genius to be able to read this epic novel. As I stood in the airport on Oct. 31st, trying to find a book that I knew was on my list (I didn’t have internet access), I saw War and Peace and decided that the time had come for me to become an amazing reader like my mom.

War and Peace was significantly less intimidating that I had convinced myself it would be. I cruised through the first 700 pages—which were exciting and easy to read (okay, keep in mind I'm a history geek) and then I trudged through the next 400 pages—which were mostly about war and therefore more difficult for me to get through. The last 150 pages were back to the fun stuff (fun meaning people dying in non-war settings) again.

What I enjoyed most about Tolstoy’s take on war was his cynicism. He has a dry sense of humor and I found that the humor was of the type that if you blink you will miss it, but if you don’t blink then it is enlightening.

Everyone has heard of War and Peace but for those who don’t know what it is about (like me about a month ago), it is the story of several families and 1) their daily lives and 2) their experiences during the Napoleonic Wars in Russia. War and Peace is historical fiction—I learned from reading the preface that Tolstoy was a general in the war. He originally wrote history, but started writing fiction because pure history left out too much about people’s lives.

Favorite Quote: “Lady luck is nothing but a whore.”
If this book were a movie, I’d rate it: PG-13 or R This could go either way depending on how bullet wounds are portrayed.
Overall Grade: B
Would I recommend this book to my friends? Yes, but only a few of them. This is no Harry Potter read.

4 comments:

  1. This really isn't a commentary on this post so much as a OMFG you are going to read David Copperfield!?!?!?!?!? I've read something like 3/4 of that book and I gave up, that's how horrible/annoying/stupid I found the book. Also I liked Steerforth who is apparently not the best guy. And when you read it remind me to tell you my Remus Lupin is David Copperfield thing.

    On the bright side Bridget Jones;s Diary I read in one day and it was side splittingly funny. (Splittingly is a word, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo!!!! You've just caught an error on this blog which means that I've actually read 36, not 35 books. I've already read David Copperfield. HATED it.

    I have about 50 pages left in Bridget Jones' Diary and yes, I think given the context, splittingly is a word. It has been very relaxing after War and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fail to see why people think Copperfield is so great. I liked Great Expectations way better even though I wanted to smack Pip a couple times along the way.

    Bridget Jones is such a fantastic read, especially for a woman! I remember reading it and turning red with embarrassment on behalf of Bridget a few times but not being able to stop reading. Also Mark Darcy :D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DC is WAY better than Great Expectations. Copperfield's path to happiness is much richer (and actually results in happiness), the characters are more interesting, and the overall plot of DC is more enjoyable. Great Expectations is a slog to an ending that sucks. You don't see enough of the most compelling supporting characters in GE. I can't say more without ruining for Maryn and her quest. I can say this: the best thing going for GE is that Gwyneth Paltrow played Estella in the 90s adaptation. Jacci knows Dickens is one of my favorite authors but GE is on the bottom of my list and is not a recommendation. M, you should probably read it next so I can blast it again.

    ReplyDelete