Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas




I’ll be honest. I have a sort of overarching paranoiac fear associated with books that are a) “old” and b) long. This probably originated with my very drawn out and painful reading of David Copperfield in the 9th grade. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of “those”—old and long books which I approached with hesitation and fear. Fortunately my fear was completely unfounded. The Count of Monte Cristo is anything but painful, drawn out and/or boring. This is a quick, intense, easy read. Dumas’ writing style is action packed and devoid of unnecessary details.

You’ve probably seen the movie and therefore have a general grasp on the plot of this book. (Although, let me tell you, while I loved the movie, it BUTCHERED this book.) For those who aren’t familiar with the plot: the main character, Edmond Dantes, is a young, happy sailor who is engaged to a beautiful woman, and is in love. His life is turned upside down when he is wrongfully accused of treason. He is imprisoned in the Chateau d’If; after which, he seeks revenge on those who wronged him. Okay, so Edmond Dantes isn’t exactly a great role model, but the story is awesome nonetheless.

Favorite Quotes: “Live and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget that, until the day comes when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these words: Wait and hope!”.

If this were a movie, I'd rate it: PG-13

Overall Grade: A-

Would I recommend this book to my friends: Yes, absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. My parents saw this play at the Kennedy Center in 1985. True story.

    And the only think I know about this book comes from The Shawshank Redemption when Andy's friend is perusing the prison library and sees this book and pronounces the author's name "dumbass."

    ReplyDelete