Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy



Upon closing the back cover of Tess of the d'Urbervilles (which will be abreviated TdU moving forward), my husband looked over and asked "what did you think?" to which I replied "I loved this book. Yeah, I loved it."

When my brother was home over Christmas and I was reading Emma, he and I were discussing our distaste for Jane Austen novels and one complaint that surfaced was that her stories typically focus on people and their high class problems. ("High class problems" is a phrase our family uses if someone is stressed out about where to go on vacation or what to wear to the ball, etc.) Part of what I loved about TdU is that this story is not about high class problems, in fact, quite the opposite. Also, I loved this book because it is another story about crazy people in love (which, as mentioned previously on this blog, I enjoy.) Finally, I thouroughly enjoyed Thomas Hardy's writing style. It was artistic, expressive and detailed without excessive verbosity.

TdU gained a lot of attention (some positive, some negative) in its day because it was daring--it questioned social order, destiny, values, and religion. Most importantly, the book is based on a "true" story which in today's society would be, for the most part, commonplace but would have been kept intenesely secret in the 1800s.

TdU is a story of Tess Durbeyfield, who was the oldest daughter of an impoverished, drunk beggar and a milkmaid. The book chronicles her life and her struggles as a poor woman in rural England.

Favorite Quote: I have three--I couldn't pick one. 1) "the magnitude of lives is not as to their extrenal displacements, but as to their subjective experiences. The impressionable peasant leads a larger, fuller, more dramatic life than the pachydermatous king." 2) "It was for herself that he loved Tess; her soul, her heart, her substance--not for her skill in the dairy..." 3) "This was always how Clare settled practical questions; by a sentiment which had nothing to do with them."

If this were a movie, I'd rate it: PG-13.

Overall Grade: A

Would I recommend this book to my friends: Absolutely...although, not to the ones who demand "happily ever after" endings.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding your favorite quotes I have to say I would vote for the one referencing love for a woman who doesn't quite cut it in the dairy. I think I referenced love even though she lacks agricultural prowess in my wedding vows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, absolutely, I remember you saying that.

    I was insulted in Jacci's behalf at the time as I saw no flaw in her agricultural skills. I hope you can she that she has performed adequately in this respect and that she has exceeded your expectations.

    ReplyDelete